This savory soup has a cool refreshing flavor making it ideal for fall or spring, when the weather is still cool but not cold. This recipe for Key Lime Soup is made with a garlic, oregano, and coriander spiced shredded chicken and a warm broth flavored with lime and grapefruit juice as well as onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Serve the soup with fried tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips for a bit of crunch with each spoonful.
- 300 grams chicken breast
- 1 clove garlic
- dried oregano
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro
- 2 liters water
- 0.5 kilograms onion
- 400 grams green bell pepper
- 200 grams tomato
- vegetable oil
- 6 key limes
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 4 corn tortillas (cut into strips and fried)
- In a saucepan, add the chicken, garlic, a pinch of oregano, coriander, salt to taste, and water.
- Once the chicken broth is ready, remove the chicken breasts and shred. Strain the broth.
- Chop the onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- In a large pot, heat a drizzle of oil. Saute the onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Add the chicken broth, key lime juice, and grapefruit juice. Season with bouillon powder.
- Boil for 10 minutes and strain.
- In a soup dish, add the fried tortillas, shredded chicken, key lime slices, and pour the hot broth on top.
|Calories320Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.