- 250 grams kale (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 onions (finely diced)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 400 grams chopped tomatoes (cans)
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- 125 grams ricotta
- 20 cannelloni
- 100 grams Emmental (grated)
- butter (to grease)
- Blanch the kale in salted, boiling water for 3-4 mins then drain and chill under cold water.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan, add half the onions and cook for 1-2 mins before adding the kale and cooking for a further 3-4 mins. Stir in 2/3 cup water then season. Cover and cook over a low heat for 20-25 mins, until very tender.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan, add the remaining onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 mins. Stir in the tomato paste and sauté for 2-3 mins. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5-10 mins. Fold half the oregano into the sauce the set aside.
- Stir the ground allspice and sugar into the kale, followed by the ricotta. Use a small spoon to fill the cannelloni.
- Grease a baking dish with butter then spread a layer of tomato sauce over the bottom. Arrange the filled cannelloni in the dish then spoon over the remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle cheese over the pasta then bake for 40-45 mins. Garnish with the remaining oregano then serve.