Kale Walnut PestoKITCHENAID
This bright green sauce comes together quickly in a high-powered blender. Punchy lemon and garlic flavors make Kale Walnut Pesto a perfect complement to not just pasta, but eggs, potatoes, roasted cauliflower or a toasty slice of bread. Uses KitchenAid® High Performance Series Blender.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup walnut halves (toasted)
- 2 cups kale leaves (packed, about 1 small bunch, ribs discarded, chopped)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon (juiced and peel grated)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sweat until tender, about 1 minute. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To toast walnuts, spread in single layer in heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine garlic, toasted walnuts, kale, Parmesan, lemon peel and lemon juice in the blender jar. Secure lid and pulse 2-3 times on high, using the tamper to push down ingredients as needed, until mixture is finely chopped. Add remaining 1⁄2 cup oil, increase speed to medium (Speed 5 or 6) and blend until oil is incorporated, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use immediately, or store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 days or in freezer for up to 3 months (the pesto will darken over time).
- TIP: Toss it with your favorite hot pasta, and use a little of the pasta cooking water to thin the sauce to the ideal consistency, or toss it with zucchini “pasta” strands.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories310Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes