Kaiserschmarren — or "Emperor's Mess" — is a fluffy, shredded Austrian pancake that's favored in many former parts of the Habsburg Monarchy. The light, caramelized pancake features many variations, though it's generally made from a sweet batter of f…
our, eggs, sugar, salt, and milk. Then, it's showered in almonds for textural crunch and baked in butter, as is the case here. Upon removing the kaiserschmarren from the oven, sprinkle it with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- 100 grams raisins
- 6 teaspoons rum
- 8 eggs (separated)
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 grams flour
- 400 milliliters milk
- 125 grams butter (cold)
- 100 grams almonds (crushed)
- powdered sugar
- Wash the raisins in cold water. Drain and leave to soak in the rum in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm, gently folding in 2 tbsp. of sugar.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the flour, milk, raisins, and rum, and mix well.
- Gently fold in the egg white.
- Melt about a third of the butter in 2 large pans.
- Pour the mixture into the pans and cook on medium heat until golden.
- Chop up the omelette using 2 forks, toss and add the remaining butter.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Continue to cook until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
|Calories970Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.