Kaiserschmarren, Emperor’s Omelette or Fluffy Scratched PancakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Kaiserschmarren — or "Emperor's Mess" — is a fluffy, shredded Austrian pancake that's favored in many former parts of the Habsburg Monarchy. The light, caramelized pancake features many variations, though it's generally made from a sweet batter of flour, eggs, sugar, salt, and milk. Then, it's showered in almonds for textural crunch and baked in butter, as is the case here. Upon removing the kaiserschmarren from the oven, sprinkle it with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- 100 grams raisins
- 6 teaspoons rum
- 8 eggs (separated)
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 grams flour
- 400 milliliters milk
- 125 grams butter (cold)
- 100 grams almonds (crushed)
- powdered sugar
- 1Wash the raisins in cold water. Drain and leave to soak in the rum in a small bowl.
- 2In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm, gently folding in 2 tbsp. of sugar.
- 3In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
- 4Add the flour, milk, raisins, and rum, and mix well.
- 5Gently fold in the egg white.
- 6Melt about a third of the butter in 2 large pans.
- 7Pour the mixture into the pans and cook on medium heat until golden.
- 8Chop up the omelette using 2 forks, toss and add the remaining butter.
- 9Sprinkle with almonds.
- 10Continue to cook until golden brown.
- 11Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories970Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.