- 1 1/2 pounds boneless blade pork roast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 chiles (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 29 ounces vegetable broth (no salt added)
- 6 ounces tomato paste (no salt added)
- 1 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups rice
- Place half of pork cubes in 1-quart self-sealing plastic bag. Combine flour and seasonings; mix until blended. Add half of flour mixture to pork in bag. Seal bag; shake to coat pork with flour mixture. Repeat with remaining flour and pork cubes.
- In 8-quart Dutch oven brown pork cubes in hot oil until lightly browned; remove and set aside. Add onions, peppers and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add tomatoes, broth and tomato paste to pan, stirring until mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil; return pork to pan along with 1/2 cup each carrots and green peppers. Stir in thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover, simmer over low heat 20-25 minutes. Stir in rice and remaining carrots and green pepper. Cover, continue cooking over low heat 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.