- 16 ounces Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage (Regular Flavor)
- 10 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 medium tomato (seeded and chopped, optional)
- 1/2 cup green onion (thin-sliced, optional)
PER SERVING *
|Calories460Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Claire C. 13 Dec 2017
My family love this casserole. I don't worry about using the vegetables and add a good sprinkling of Mrs. Dash Table Blend, onion powder and a little garlic powder. I make it the night before and push everything down in the egg mixture with a potato masher until all the bubbles are pushed out and everything is saturated. Sit it in the oven overnight so it's room temperature when it starts to cook. I'm a Brit of a certain age, so don't have paranoia over room temperature eggs. It comes out beautifully risen and fluffy. It definitely needs about 1.25 hours to cook through.
Carla L. 4 Jun 2015
This recipe needs a couple of modifications to make it truly delicious and worthy of making again and again. I took the advice of a few other reviewers and substituted the bread for hash brown which have more flavor and won't turn out as soggy as absorbent bread may do. I also added mushrooms to bulk it out a bit more and give the casserole a lovely firm texture. This definitely needs more than 60 minutes in the oven, I found - I needed an extra 20 minutes to ensure the eggs had set in the middle.