Jamie Oliver's Red CabbageMarmita
Sweet, tangy, and savory, this recipe for Jamie Oliver’s Red Cabbage is a great accompaniment to grilled or roasted meat or fish. Diced into small bits in the food processor, the cabbage is cooked alongside bacon in a caramelized sugar, red wine, and vinegar sauce until tender. Seasoned with rosemary, butter and honey are added as a last touch to finish off this delightfully sweet and savory red cabbage salad. A wintry dish, this red cabbage boasts all the warmth of flavor you crave during the cold months.
- 6 servings
- 800 grams red cabbage
- olive oil (to taste)
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- red wine vinegar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- honey (to taste)
- 1Finely dice the cabbage in the food processor. Set aside.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large wok on medium heat, and add bacon cut into small pieces.
- 3Add the rosemary leaves, a pinch of salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until bacon is crisp and golden.
- 4Remove the bacon from the pan, and set aside.
- 5Turn down the heat, and add the brown sugar to the bacon fat. Caramelize the sugar a little, then add vinegar, cabbage, and bacon. Stir everything well.
- 6Add a little more red wine vinegar, and a little water, and cover the pan with a lid.
- 7Cook on low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is soft.
- 8If mixture gets too dry during cooking, add a little more water.
- 9Before removing from heat, add butter and honey, and stir well.
- 10Garnish with a sprig of rosemary, and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories160Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.