- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled and finely diced)
- 5 ounces mushrooms (cleaned and cut into slices)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 14 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- herbs (dried Mediterranean)
- 4 orange holland peppers
- oil (to grease the baking sheet)
- Prepare the quinoa in boiling, salted water according to package directions.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the minced meat and cook about 5 minutes, until crumbly. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat, add the mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the onions and garlic to the mushrooms and sauté for about 1 minute. Add the mushroom mixture to the minced meat. Stir in tomato paste and cook briefly. Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, herbs and quinoa, season with salt and pepper and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash the peppers. Cut off the top of each pepper to create a lid and set aside. Clean and de-seed the inside of the peppers. With a paring knife, carve Jack O'Lantern faces on one side of each pepper. Place peppers on a greased baking sheet. Bake peppers for about 10 to 12 minutes. Place the reserved pepper lids on the tray after about 6 minutes.
- Take the peppers out of the oven. Fill with the warm minced meat mixture, put on lid on top of each pepper and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories520Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.