- 8 cups homemade chicken stock (or use 5 cans chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel (ground)
- 2 cans tomatoes with juice (petitie dice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package italian sausage (5 links/19.5 oz. hot or sweet turkey)
- 1 onion (chopped into small dice)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or less if you're not that fond of garlic)
- 1 cup macaroni (use Dreamfields Macaroni or whole wheat macaroni for South Beach diet)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped, or 2 T chopped frozen basil)
- grated parmesan cheese (freshly, for serving, optional)
PER SERVING *
|Calories200Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Angie A day ago
Delicious! I used hot Italian sausage and farfalle pasta because that’s what I had. After I ate one bowl, I thought some beans would go really well with it, so I added a can of kidney beans. My son has already asked if I could make it again.
Debra 5 Feb
I didn’t bother cooking the sausage through first, but let it simmer about an hour. I added garbanzo beans and a handful of spinach. Very good!
Amanda R. 17 Jan
My husband does not like tomatoes. I made this with one can of tomatoes, one can of cannelini beans, italian seasoning in place of basil/fennel, and 1 1/2 cups of ditalini pasta in place of macaroni. DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing!
Joel 9 Dec 2017
I really liked this recipe. It did seem like it was missing something so I added some salt and Zucchini and it was amazing!
Amanda S. 27 Nov 2017
This is the second time I’ve made this soup...it’s a keeper! I use spicy italian pork sausage instead of turkey sausage
Alyssa M. 12 Sep 2017
It was good but it awesome. Had good flavor but it seemed to be missing something.
Rachel T. 16 Feb 2016
So good!! This soup is super flavorful and easy! I've made it quite a few times. Good and soul-warming, always a go-to for me