- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel (halved, cored and sliced)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 15 ounces cannellini beans (or chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- shaved parmesan cheese
- crusty bread
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Cook fennel, carrot and celery for 5 mins, until golden and softened. Stir in tomatoes, stock, beans and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 mins, until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in breadcrumbs. Ladle into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of pesto and sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty bread.