Italian Sunday PorchettaPork
Pork shoulder recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman, celebrity chef and author of Young and Hungry: Making the Most of Fresh and Affordable Food and Dave's Dinners: A Fresh Approach to Home-Cooked Meals
- 4 pounds bone-in pork shoulder blade roast
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 sprigs rosemary (broken into 6 total pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 3 stalks celery (cut into large chunks)
- 2 yellow onion (large, sliced about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Make 6 small slits in the flesh of the roast, about 1/2 inch deep and 1/2 inch long. Insert a garlic clove and a piece of rosemary into each slit. Rub all sides of roast with salt and pepper, then rub with oil.
- 3Place roast, skin-side-down, in a large heavy roasting pan with low sides. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes until nicely browned. Remove roast from oven.
- 4Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
- 5Transfer roast to a plate. Add chopped vegetables, then white wine to the roasting pan. Place the roast, skin side down, on top of the vegetables. Cover pan and roast with heavy aluminum foil, return to the oven and bake 6 hours longer.
- 6Remove from oven, let stand 15 minutes then pull the meat from the bone; discard bone. Slice half of the meat and serve with some of the vegetables and pan juices.*
- 7Cover and refrigerate remaining portion of pork and use for Mexican Pork Shoulder Stew.
- 8Slow-Cooker Method: Prepare roast as directed, except do not rub with oil. Heat oil over medium-high heat in large heavy skillet. Add pork roast; brown all sides of roast, 5 to 7 minutes total. Place vegetables and wine in slow cooker. Place roast, skin side down, on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
PER SERVING *
|Calories170Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.