- 19 ounces Johnsonville Italian Sausage Links (removed from casing*, *Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion (small, finely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (medium, chopped ¼”)
- 3 plum tomatoes (chopped, about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 bell peppers (medium, tops removed, cored and seeded)
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (**, optional **Tip: Toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring and shaking pan constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Immediately transfer to a bowl and let cool.)
- Cook Quinoa according to package directions, (yield 1 ½ cups).
- Sauté the decased sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble the sausage as it cooks until its nicely browned and no longer pink, breaking up any of the large pieces, about 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and red bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms, sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat then add in parsley, cooked Quinoa, paprika, sausage and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stuff bell peppers with sausage mixture, dividing equally and gently packing the mixture down. Arrange upright in prepared baking dish.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until peppers are tender.
- If desired, serve topped with a sprinkling of toasted almonds.