These hearty and simple sandwiches are a street fair favorite, which can be enjoyed at home. Serve with creamy coleslaw, assortment of sweet, hot and dill pickles, chips and watermelon wedges.
- 4 pounds sweet Italian sausage links (OR hot sausage links, 16 pieces)
- 4 red bell peppers (stemmed, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips)
- 4 green bell peppers (stemmed, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 sweet onions (large, peeled and thinly sliced)
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed)
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 16 long sandwich rolls (sliced lengthwise and toasted)
- In large skillet sauté peppers in oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Pepper mixture can be made ahead; reheat at serving time or serve at room temperature.
- Prepare fairly hot fire in grill. Grill sausage directly over hot fire, turning occasionally, until done, about 10 minutes total. Place sausage links in rolls, add generous helping of sautéed peppers and onions.