Experiment with hot or mild sausage in this soup and your family's tastes. Serve with warm crusty bread.
- 1/2 pound sweet italian sausage (OR hot, casing removed)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 15 ounces tomatoes (Italian-style, diced)
- 15 ounces white beans (Great Northern or cannellini)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram (dried, crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (crushed)
- In a large heavy saucepan brown sausage over medium-high heat; stir in onion and garlic; cook and stir until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Makes six one-cup servings.