This seasoned pork roast, attributed to Italian miners who came to work on Minnesota’s iron range, is a favorite in Minneapolis and points north. The seasoning of fennel and oregano can be traced back to Italian porchetta, roast pig. This flavorful roast makes a simple feast when served with lima beans, mashed potatoes and stewed tomatoes.
- 4 pounds pork loin roast (boneless)
- 3 tablespoons dill seed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine seasonings together and coat roast with mixture. Roast in a shallow pan for 40 minutes-1 1/2 hour (20 minutes per pound), until internal temperature reads 145 degrees F. Let roast rest 10 minutes before slicing to serve.