Ground beef is the base for these Italian-style meatballs. A light tomato sauce is accented with bell peppers and onions for a flavor-packed accent. The meatballs are flavored with garlic and a little bit of parmesan cheese for the perfect hearty and savory bite. You can serve the meatballs and sauce over some fried potatoes, a bowl of al dente pasta, or turn them into a meatball sub with a little bit of provolone cheese.
- 1 slice bread (blended into bread crumbs)
- 1 milk (splash)
- 1 red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1 tomato (finely diced)
- 250 milliliters tomato sauce
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- ground black pepper
- 100 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 egg (beaten lightly)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- potatoes (fried, optional)
- Set the bread crumbs to soak in a splash of milk.
- Saute the bell peppers, onion, and tomato for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and let simmer a few minutes to let the flavors marry.
- Separately, mix the ground beef with diced garlic, bread crumbs soaked in milk, salt, ground black pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
- Pinch off sections of meat and form into balls. Coat in beaten egg, then flour and fry in plenty of hot oil. Fry just until golden on the outside. They will finish cooking later in the tomato sauce.
- Add the golden meatballs to the tomato sauce and let simmer 10 minutes on low heat.
- Serve with fried potatoes (optional).
PER SERVING *
|Calories620Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.