- 1 pound ground beef (at least 16 percent fat)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2/3 cup milk (whole or 2 percent)
- 3 slices white bread (crusts removed, about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or marjoram)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup flour (for dusting)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce (make in step 1 of method or use already prepared)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 3/4 cup carrots (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (finely)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 28 ounces tomatoes (crushed or whole, including the juice, or 1 3/4 pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- freshly ground black pepper
PER SERVING *
|Calories630Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Vicki Sofianos 8 Aug
amazing! i i used mild italian sausage and they had so much flavor! the entire family loved them!
Dustin M. 4 Aug
Turned out amazing. Didn't use the pork, just doubled the beef. Sauce is good, I accidently added to much pepper for my family's taste but it was perfect for me.
Jerome Hunt Jerome Hunt 2 Jul
Was really good, the only thing I’d change next time is not to purée the sauce.
Kathy W. 27 Apr
This was the best meatball recipe that I have made and I have tried a lot. I did use jarred sauce because I was making manicotti to go with it.
Lily M. 30 Jan
This is so yummy!😁I will make it again.😊Definitely!
julie h. 31 May 2017
Great! Toddler approved
Trina F. 3 Mar 2016
It was my first time making homemade meatballs and everyone loved them! Recipe was very easy to follow but since it was my first time it took me about a half hour longer than the allotted time on the recipe list. I love the amount of cheese that was used with making the meatballs as well.
Jessi W. 16 Dec 2015
This recipe was really easy to follow. I would suggest making the recommended Tomato sauce (instead of store bought like suggested) as the store bought one was too rich without the aroma for the meatballs to really shine. The meatballs themselves however are pretty nice and nice and soft due to the ricotta and milky bread. I would suggest adding a little extra parmesan than suggested as it's flavour gets a little lost in the mix.