- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 3 celery (ribs, chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 head cabbage (chopped)
- 4 carrots (sliced)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (cut in large dice)
- 1/3 cup pearled barley (optional or substitute with gluten-free grain)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 3 cups great northern beans (cooked, 2 cans, drained)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt (to taste)
|Calories300Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
J Dolan 14 days ago
I loved it but my husband felt it needed some ham to make it more "meal-worthy".
Jennifer 2 Oct 2018
This is great! I made a second batch for my freezer!
Chris Coonce 9 Sep 2018
delicious! followed the recipe to letter on the stove. warm and hearty vegetable soup.
Cynthia W. 13 Jun 2018
Great! Husband loves it!!
Susan D. 2 Apr 2018
A wonderful recipe. This is the “chicken soup” of the vegetarian world! Warming, delicious and very healthy. I used freshly chopped tomatoes instead of canned and added a little chopped kale towards the end. And a couple of teaspoons (don’t overdo it!) of balsamic vinegar during the cooking adds a depth that really finishes it off.
Michelle K. 27 Mar 2018
yummly! made it as a side to my corn beef brisket.
Tomeka 26 Mar 2018
we ended up adding ham instead of having the barley. It was tasty!
Thikra S. 13 Mar 2018
It was so delicious I love it I will make it all the time
Lois B. 12 Mar 2018
Followed the recipe and both my husband and I think the soup is pretty bland. The recipe makes a lot!
Kevin Shute 5 Mar 2018
Turned out great! Not a kid favorite but warmed our grown-up bellies on a cold night! Fabulous way to get your cabbage! The recipe makes a lot of food! We will eat leftovers for a couple of days of lunches, which I love!