- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 3 celery (ribs, chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 head cabbage (chopped)
- 4 carrots (sliced)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (cut in large dice)
- 1/3 cup pearled barley (optional or substitute with gluten-free grain)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 3 cups great northern beans (cooked, 2 cans, drained)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt (to taste)
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
Jennifer 2 Oct
This is great! I made a second batch for my freezer!
Chris Coonce 9 Sep
delicious! followed the recipe to letter on the stove. warm and hearty vegetable soup.
Cynthia W. 13 Jun
Great! Husband loves it!!
Susan D. 2 Apr
A wonderful recipe. This is the “chicken soup” of the vegetarian world! Warming, delicious and very healthy. I used freshly chopped tomatoes instead of canned and added a little chopped kale towards the end. And a couple of teaspoons (don’t overdo it!) of balsamic vinegar during the cooking adds a depth that really finishes it off.
Michelle K. 27 Mar
yummly! made it as a side to my corn beef brisket.
Tomeka 26 Mar
we ended up adding ham instead of having the barley. It was tasty!
Thikra S. 13 Mar
It was so delicious I love it I will make it all the time
Lois B. 12 Mar
Followed the recipe and both my husband and I think the soup is pretty bland. The recipe makes a lot!
Kevin Shute 5 Mar
Turned out great! Not a kid favorite but warmed our grown-up bellies on a cold night! Fabulous way to get your cabbage! The recipe makes a lot of food! We will eat leftovers for a couple of days of lunches, which I love!