- 6 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (+ for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 pounds dark chocolate (5.25 oz melted, remaining coarsely chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup irish cream liqueur
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 10 x 12 inch rimmed baking tray with parchment paper. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy. Sift together cocoa powder and cornstarch then fold in. Add 5.25 oz melted chocolate and 1 tbsp water. Whip egg whites to soft peaks then fold in. Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 15 mins. Turn out onto a wire rack covered with parchment paper. Cover top with parchment paper and let cool.
- Grease and line an 8 inch springform cake pan with parchment paper, cutting the paper to extend 2 inches above edge of pan. Cut an 8 inch disc out of cooled cake and carefully transfer to prepared cake pan. Discard remaining cake.
- For the mousse topping, bloom gelatin in 1 tbsp cold water. Gently melt over low heat with 2 tbsp heavy cream. Add remaining cream then remaining chocolate. Stir over low heat until smooth. Chill until just cold. Add liqueur and beat until the mixture changes to a paler color. Transfer to prepared pan and chill for 3 hours, or until set.
- Transfer cake to a serving plate and dust with cocoa powder. Serve.
|Calories590Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.