- 2 1/2 pounds red skinned potatoes (scrubbed clean and quartered)
- 3 teaspoons salt (divided, plus additional to taste)
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 green cabbage (a good sized head of, roughly chopped, about 5 to 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (plus additional to taste)
- 3/4 cup milk (slightly warmed, as needed)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
PER SERVING *
|Calories220Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Rina Jeremiah 20 May
Great as a side and the bacon is a great touch!
Stephen Finlay 5 May
If I were to make this again I would soften the cabbage in the microwave while boiling the potatoes. Then mash the potatoes and add the cabbage, bacon and green onion. This way it is all nice and warm when served.
Angela 31 Mar
So good! I did make it with spinach instead so will have to make it again with cabbage instead
CJ 18 Mar
very nice! added some red oniona and devoured it!
Chris Fields 18 Mar
Fantastic! i added more bacon and cut back a little on the cabbage and it was.fabulous!
MaryAnn 18 Mar
I prefer my potatoes smooth. I will add some more seasonings next time.
Gayle H. 18 Mar
We made this for St. Patrick’s Day and enjoyed it. It’s a nice change from plain mashed potatoes. I made the recipe just as it was and loved the slightly chunky potatoes. The bacon and green onion add to the topping. We serviced it with bangers (medium-spiced sausage) and green beans. A great meal.
Sarah Cantrell 18 Mar
perfect side dish. would definitely make again. i stirred the bacon in rather than on top.
Chris & Ken 18 Mar
It was good! We added green onions to add to the mashed potatoes as well as sprinkling them on top.
Lauren H. 18 Mar
Made these tonight minus the bacon, and they were still delicious! Even my picky husband tried them. I even added some Irish Cheddar in mine when they were still hot for an extra touch.
Julie B. 17 Mar
Omg these are amazing potatoes, tested them out before adding bacon and green onions. My hubs just wanted to eat them out of the bowl. I may cut the salt a little next time but there WILL be a next time. Great change instead of mashed or boiled potatoes with corn beef
Jennifer S. 16 Mar
Colcannon doesn't have bacon in it. It's delicious enough without it.
patty 15 Mar
its sound so good.i will try soon