- 1 gallon skim milk (nonfat/)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (with live and active cultures, I suggest Fage 2% for mild yogurt, Siggi’s for tart)
- 7 drops liquid (animal rennet, single strength)
- 1/4 cup water (cool-ish unchlorinated)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla (optional)
- 1/2 cup sweetener (i.e. pure maple syrup, honey, agave, etc., optional)
Emily C. a year ago
This recipe is a lot of work. It is worth ALL of it. I like the flavor of storebought skyr so that is what I used for my starter and it came out great, so I set some of the skyr aside to use as starter next time. I used 1/4 tablet of solid rennet instead of the liquid rennet and it dissolved in the water nicely and the skyr turned out great.