The vivid colors of this salad match the bright flavor of the dressing, lively and zippy from the lime juice and chili powder. This dish doubles as a side dish or a light, summery main course…
When fresh sweet corn is in season, I find any excuse to work it into a meal. When it’s not in season, I rely on frozen corn, a much better bet than corn that has racked up many miles to reach your table.
Making the quinoa in the Instant Pot means you can focus on chopping the tomatoes and making the dressing while the quinoa cooks. In the end, all that’s left is to mix together the ingredients. (And eat.)
A few tips: To save a step, look for quinoa labeled “pre-rinsed.” If you do rinse your quinoa, take care. Quinoa grains are small and can fall out the bottom of many strainers and colanders.
Secondly, you can use your microwave to shuck corn: Cut 2 inches off the stalk end of each cob (where nature provides the cob’s “handle”), leaving the husk in place. Microwave on a plate on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and use a kitchen towel to grasp a cob by the uncut end. (Careful, the corn is hot.) Pull the husk away from the corn, bringing the silk cleanly with it.
This recipe is from Daniel Shumski, who is the author of How to Instant Pot: Mastering All the Functions of the One Pot That Will Change the Way You Cook.
- 1 cup white quinoa (rinsed in a fine-meshed strainer and drained)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (plus a pinch)
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (frozen or from 2 large or 3 small ears of corn **)
- 2 pt. grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (freshly squeezed, from 1 lime)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- fresh chives (for garnish)
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Place the quinoa in the inner pot, followed by 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Close and lock the lid. Set the valve to Sealing. Press Cancel, then press Manual (or Pressure Cook) and use the Pressure (or Pressure Level) button to select High Pressure. (The buttons will vary depending on your Instant Pot model.) Set the time to 1 minute.
- When the cooking cycle ends, press Cancel. Allow the appliance to cool and release pressure naturally, about 10 minutes.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories390Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes