Martabak is a stuffed pancake or thick pan-fried bread and is a common street food in Indonesia. Made with coconut milk, yeast, eggs, flour and other dry ingredients, these martabak are thick, fluffy, and carry a slight coconut flavor. A creamy chocolate filling featuring peanuts runs through the middle of the finished martabak for a delicious breakfast option that may make you feel like you are eating dessert. No complaints here.
- 1 cup coconut milk (warmed)
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (instant)
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter (softened, plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- chocolate (grated)
- condensed milk
- peanuts (crushed)
- queso fresco (crumbled)
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut milk (make sure it is not boiling) with the yeast. Let proof for 10 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- In another larger bowl add the flour, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Add the yeast mixture and beat until there are no more lumps. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Separately, beat the eggs with the butter and baking soda.
- Pour the egg mixture into the coconut milk mixture and beat until everything is well combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the filling. Stir together the chocolate, condensed milk, peanuts, and queso fresco. This needs to be ready before the cake is ready because it has to be added when the cake is still hot.
- Set a 20-centimeter diameter skillet on low heat. Pour half the batter in, cover, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. You will know when it is done if the cake has bubbles on its surface and is firm to the touch.
- Remove from heat and repeat with the other half of the batter. Alternatively, you can cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a day to make later.
- As soon as the cake comes off the skillet, smear with more butter, cut in half horizontally, and frost the middle with the filling mixture. Add the other half back on and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories400Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.