Impossible™ Tortilla SoupIMPOSSIBLE FOODS
Cook this Impossible™ Tortilla Soup Recipe for a hearty take on this classic soup, using plant-based meat for an Earth-friendly favorite. By Chef Traci Des Jardins
- 12 oz. Impossible™ Burger
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 clove garlic (or 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime
- 14 oz. crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 4 oz. chiles (Roasted, canned)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 12 oz. pinto beans (canned)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (containing mixed spices)
- 1 cup tortilla chips (or Homemade Fried Tortilla Strips, recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (divided)
- 6 corn tortillas (optional if using tortilla chips instead)
- 1/2 cup jack cheese (grated, or plant-based cheese)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado (diced)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Make the tortilla strips: Cut the corn tortillas into strips that are 1/4 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long. Use vegetable oil to fry the strips in a pan over medium to medium high heat (350℉ with a candy or deep fry thermometer) until crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. These can be done up to a day ahead of time or skipped if using premade tortilla chips or broken taco shells.
- Prepare the soup: Peel and dice the yellow onion and peel and chop the garlic cloves. Finely mince the cilantro stems (reserve the leaves). Place the soup pot over medium low heat and add the 1 Tbsp vegetable oil to the pot, then add the onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon chili powder, and cilantro stems. Sweat over low heat, without letting it brown (reduce heat if the contents begin to brown), and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, cook for two minutes, and then add the roasted chiles and 5 cups vegetable broth. Bring all to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes. Add a teaspoon of salt and fresh pepper or to taste.
- Cook the Impossible™ Burger: Place the sauté pan over medium high heat and add 1 Tbsp oil. When it starts to smoke, add the package of Impossible™ Burger, breaking into pieces. Allow the meat to sear for two minutes without stirring. Then flip with a metal spatula and cook for another 2 minutes (you may need to reduce the heat to medium to prevent scorching), and stir with the metal spatula. Season with salt (about 2 teaspoons), pepper, and 1 tablespoon chili powder, and cook for another minute or until there is no more red showing. Set aside at room temperature.
- Serve up the tortilla soup: When ready to serve, rinse the corn and pinto beans, and then add both to the soup. Chop and add one half of the cilantro, season to taste with salt and pepper. Place into individual bowls, top with the Impossible™ Burger mixture and garnish with cilantro leaves, avocado and sour cream, plus cheese or plant-based cheese, if desired. Top with the crisp tortillas strips and serve with lime.
- Serve, share, and enjoy: Makes 4 portions.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories350Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes