- 3 pounds pork sausage crumbles (fully cooked)
- 3 cups onions (diced)
- 4 cups carrots (julienne)
- 4 cups celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup garlic (minced)
- 1 cup parsley (fresh, washed, finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 quarts tomatoes (canned, diced)
- 48 ounces red kidney beans (canned, with liquid)
- 46 ounces white beans (canned, with liquid)
- 30 ounces black beans (canned, with liquid)
- 46 ounces tomato sauce (canned)
- 3 quarts vegetable juice cocktail (no added salt, like V-8 brand)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano (dried)
- 1 tablespoon basil (dried)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper (ground)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (dried)
- 1 pound ditali pasta
- Place sausage crumbles, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in large pot or steam-jacketed kettle.
- Sauté over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add spices, tomatoes beans, tomato sauce, V-8, and parsley to the meat mixture. Stir carefully.
- Reduce heat to medium and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 1 hour. Stir occasionally as needed, but do not over stir.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Add pasta to the meat/bean mixture and bring it to a simmer.
- Place the mixture in serving pans and hold at 140° Fahrenheit or higher to serve.
- Pour mixture into 2 inch shallow pans. Cover and place on rack in the cooler. Do not stack pans. Allow for air to circulate around the pans. Cool to 40° Fahrenheit within 4 hours.
- Reheat product to 165° Fahrenheit or higher for at least 1 minute. Stir gently to distribute heat evenly. Hold at 140° Fahrenheit or higher to serve.