Idlis are a popular breakfast item in India. These healthy rice lentil savory cakes, made by steaming a pre-fermented batter, are usually served with a dip called chutney.
- parboiled rice (Idli Rice, 2 cups)
- rice (1 cup)
- urad dal (Black Gram Dal, 1 cup)
- seeds (Fenugreek, Methi, 1/2 tsp)
- salt (to taste)
- oil (for greasing the idli moulds)
- Wash and soak the parboiled rice and the raw rice in water, in a vessel, for about 5 hours. Drain the excess water.
- In another vessel, wash and soak the urad dal along with the fenugreek seeds (if you are using them) in water for about 5 hours. Drain the excess water..
- Grind the soaked rice, in a mixer, to a paste which is more coarse than smooth using the required amount of water. Remove from mixer and pour into a large vessel.