Put a unique twist on the classic flavor combinations of a Gin and Tonic with this recipe for a Iced Watermelon and Tonic drink. Alcohol free, this drink is suitable for everyone. Combining the fresh flavor of watermelon with the punch of flavor from the zest of fresh lemon and fresh basil, this Watermelon and Tonic is the perfect drink to serve guests during the summertime. Garnish with a sprig of basil and a curl of lemon peel.
- 3 servings
- 170 grams watermelon
- 3 basil leaves
- 6 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 bottles Schweppes (20 dl. per cup)
- ice (enough for 3 cups)
- In a blender or food processor, add the watermelon without the seeds, 2 fresh basil leaves, and grind. Pass through a very fine sieve to get a translucent liquid.
- Add the sugar, stir until it is completely dissolved, and set aside.
- Have the cup and utensils handy, and carry out the following steps, cup by cup.
- Begin by cutting a sliver of lemon peel, break the peel with your fingers so that its oil falls automatically into the cup, and rub the peel on the inside of the cup for extra flavor.
- Put 3 ice cubes in the cup, and use a spoon to stir the cubes until the glass begins to freeze on the outside as pictured.
- After the glass is very cold, use a strainer to drain excess water from the bottom of the glass, to avoid dropping the ice.
- Add the remaining ice to the cup, and 50 ml. of watermelon juice of watermelon. Then fill the cup with tonic water.
- Add a few more basil leaves, thin slices of lemon zest, and a straw.