- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- red food coloring
- 1/3 cup strong black coffee
- 7 ounces hazelnut (or other nougat, chopped)
- Sift the confectioners' sugar and combine 1 cup of the sifted sugar with the butter and beat until smooth, then add the eggs. Sift in the flour and mix to a rough dough then knead lightly until smooth. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 2–3 mm thickness. Use a heart shaped cutter about 2 1/2-inches wide to cut out 32 hearts, re-rolling the dough as necessary. Place on the baking sheets. Bake in the oven for 10–12 mins until pale golden. Cool for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Combine remaining sifted confectioners' sugar in a bowl with 3 tsp water and whisk to make smooth icing. Remove about 2 tbsp of the icing and reserve. Add a little red food coloring to the bowl of icing and beat well. Spread the red icing over half the cookies. Spoon the white icing into a paper piping bag. Snip off the end of the bag and pipe zig-zag lines over the iced cookies. Leave to set.
- Gently heat the coffee and nougat in a small saucepan until the nougat has melted, whisking until blended. Cool then chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Spread each un-iced cookie with some of the coffee nougat and top with an iced cookie, pressing down gently.