- 1 pound dried mixed fruit
- 9 tablespoons butter (chopped)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 large eggs (beaten lightly)
- 2/3 cup plain flour (sifted)
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour (sifted)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 12 ounces fondant icing (prepared white)
- 1 large egg white (beaten lightly)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with the foil liners. For the batter, combine the fruit, butter, 1/2 cup water, sugar and baking soda in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in brandy. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl and cool to room temperature. Stir in eggs, then flours. Add to the liners and bake for about 40 mins. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow the cakes to cool in the pan.
- To decorate, knead the prepared icing on a surface dusted with the powdered sugar until smooth. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness, then, using a 2 inch fluted pastry cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Lightly brush the tops of the cakes with egg white, then top with the icing rounds. Cut out the letters N O E and L and snowflake shapes from the icing scraps. Brush the snowflakes with egg white and place on top of some of the cakes. Paint the letters with edible gold paint. When completely dry, brush the base of each letter with egg white and place on the iced cakes. Serve.
|Calories390Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.