Iberian White CookiesEl invitado de invierno
Made in the traditional Iberian fashion, these Iberian White Cookies are made with pork lard. Using sherry and freshly squeezed orange juice as the liquid element, these Iberian White Cookies have a light citrus flavor. Make the dough the day before you plan to bake the cookies as the dough needs to chill overnight in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with powdered sugar after the cookies have cooled. These cookies have no dairy, eggs, or nuts and so can be a good option for those with food allergies.
- 500 grams pork lard (room temperature)
- 125 milliliters dry sherry
- 125 milliliters orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 850 grams pastry flour
- 14 grams baking powder
- powdered sugar (for sprinkling later)
- 1Beat the pork lard a bit to lighten it, then add in the sherry and orange juice. Beat another 5 minutes until well mixed.
- 2Sift the flour with the baking powder and gradually beat it into the lard mixture. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 3The next day, preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius (or 190 C. for a convection oven).
- 4Roll the dough out to a thickness of 1 centimeter. Using cookie cutters or a glass, cut out sections and place them on a baking sheet.
- 5Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are lightly golden.
- 6Let cool on a baking rack and generously sprinkle with powdered sugar since the dough has no sugar in it.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1940Calories from Fat1140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.