It's entirely possible that you've never considered preparing your own hot sauce instead of relying on something from a bottle, but here's where that thinking may end. All you need, after all, are red chilie peppers of your choosing (and there are many to choose from), top quality extra virgin olive oil, and herbs and spices. A very brief cooking coaxes out the flavors, and then you're on your way to adding fiery heat to your favorite dishes.
- red chili peppers (sliced)
- olive oil
- bay leaf
- In a small saucepan, place the chilies, bay leaf, and a pinch of paprika to taste.
- Fill with olive oil until all ingrdients are submerged.
- Cook on low heat for a few minutes, when it starts to simmer, remove from heat.
- Pour into a sterilized jar and close. Turn the jar upside down for a few minutes to create a natural vacuum.