Hot Cross BunsOn dine chez Nanou
This recipe for Hot Cross Buns is a rich and robust recipe. It takes 105 minutes to prepare this recipe, but once they come out of the oven and you take that first bite, all that time preparing them will be worth it. The only problem with the recipe is that there are only 12 per recipe, so you will have to decide if you really want to share them.
- 25 grams fresh yeast (baker's)
- 50 milliliters milk (at room temperature)
- 500 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 50 grams superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 20 grams butter (softened)
- 1 eggs (beaten)
- 150 milliliters water (for bread dough)
- 100 grams raisins
- 60 grams orange peel (minced)
- 50 grams white flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water (for crosses)
- 1 eggs
- 1 milk (splash, for egg wash)
- 2 tablespoons water (for glaze)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the milk by stirring with a fork.
- 2In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, spices, sugar and salt.
- 3Add the softened butter. Mix with a dough hook to form thick breadcrumbs.
- 4In another bowl, mix the beaten egg, water, and milk/yeast mixture. Gradually add this mixture into the mixer bowl.
- 5Knead and add the raisins and orange peel. Continue to knead for 5 minutes to obtain a uniformly mixed dough.
- 6Let the dough rise for 1 hour and a half in a fairly warm room without any breeze.
- 7Place the dough ball on a floured surface. Poke the dough 2 to 3 times to get rid of any air, and then divide it into 12 small balls.
- 8Flatten each ball and then fold the sides under. Place the pieces fairly far apart on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- 9Let the dough rise for 1 hour until the pieces double in volume.
- 10Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 11To form the dough for the crosses, mix flour and water in a bowl with a fork.
- 12Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut it into thin strips.
- 13Place the strips in an X shape on top of the dough, then cut them to the proper length.
- 14Beat the egg with a little milk and brush the mixture on top of the buns.
- 15Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- 16During cooking, prepare the syrup glaze by heating the sugar in water until it dissolves
- 17Once the buns are baked, glaze them with the syrup.
- 18Leftover buns can be kept in the freezer.
PER SERVING *
|Calories270Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.