This modern and fresh take on hot cross buns features candied orange peel and lemon zest in a rich yeasted dough. Serve warm with a quick orange-kissed powdered sugar icing. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Tory L. Davis.
- 1 cup whole milk (warm)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 5 tsp. active dry yeast (two 1/4-oz packets)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups all purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 tsp. canela
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 3 eggs (divided)
- 2/3 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel (diced, can substitute zest of one orange)
- 1 Tbsp. superfine sugar (can pulse regular granulated sugar in a food processor)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (for icing)
- 2 Tbsp. milk (for icing)
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice (optional for icing; if not using add 1 more tbs. milk)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla (for icing)
- In medium pot, heat milk, butter, sugar, and salt over low heat until butter is just melted and mixture is between 110°- 115° F. Remove mixture from the heat. Stir in yeast and let sit about 5 minutes, until foamy on top.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together flour, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and lemon zest. In a small bowl lightly beat 2 eggs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; add the beaten eggs and yeast mixture, then add currants, raisins, and candied orange peel. Stir with a wooden spoon until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead with floured hands until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Transfer dough to large greased bowl and turn once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in warm, draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories170Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes