- 1 pound black eyed peas (Dried)
- 1 onion (Large, Peeled And Finely Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 8 cups rice (Hot, Cooked)
- Soak peas overnight with water to cover by 2 inches. Drain peas and set aside. In large saucepan, saute onion in oil until transparent; add peas, seasonings and chicken stock. Cover and cook slowly until peas are tender, about 30-40 minutes. If made ahead, cover and reheat. For each serving, serve 1/2 cup of peas over 1/2 cup rice.