- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten)
- Attach KitchenAid® Heated Chef Bowl and dough hook to stand mixer. Set heat to 110 °F. Once preheated, add water and heat for 5 to 6 minutes. While water is warming, combine all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour in a medium bowl. Stir well to mix. Set aside.
- Add yeast to water and stir with dough hook on Stir speed to mix. Allow mixture to proof for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce bowl heat to 90 °F. Add oil, honey, salt, oats, and 4 cups of flour mixture. Turn to Speed 2 and mix for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended.
- Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour mixture, ½ cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on Speed 2 for 3 to 4 minutes longer. Turn stand mixer off and cover/drape a kitchen towel over top of heated bowl. Set timer to 45 minutes and allow bread dough to rise in heated bowl.
- Punch dough down by turning stand mixer to Stir speed and knead dough for 10 to 15 seconds. Remove dough from bowl and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Brush tops of loaves with egg white and sprinkle with additional oatmeal. Bake at 375°F for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.