- 1 pound pork cheeks
- 1/3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2/3 tablespoon garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup wildflower honey
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 7 ounces chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 2 sheets pie dough (9x11)
- 1. Rub pork cheeks with salt, pepper, cumin, ginger and clove.
- 2. Rough chop carrot, onion and celery and place in bottom of roasting pan. Place pork cheeks on top of vegetables.
- 3. Combine bourbon, honey and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Mix well so that honey is dissolved and pour over pork cheeks.
- 4. Cover pan tightly with foil and roast in 375 degree oven for 2 hours or until pork is very tender.
- 5. Remove pork cheeks from pan and cool.
- 6. Combine orange juice and chipotle in blender and puree. Mince peppers.
- 7. Shred pork and mix with orange juice mixture and minced peppers. Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional clove, cumin and ginger as desired.
- 8. Thaw pie dough and cut into 3” circles. Place pork mixture in center of circle and fold over, pressing to seal tightly around edge.
- 9. Bake empanadas in 350 degree convection oven or until golden brown.