You'll want to serve this savory "cake" for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner (or all of the above). Bacon lends the bread smoky goodness, while cornmeal gives it a nice crumbly texture, perfect for mixing into egg dishes, tossed salads, or soups or stews, or to crush and sprinkle over savory casseroles before baking for a crisp topping. It has just a touch of sweetness from honey, more of which would be delicious spread over the top.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- Fry bacon and place it in an oven-safe baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, corn flour, sugar and baking powder. Add milk, oil, honey and eggs. Mix everything well.
- Pour batter into dish over the bacon and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.