Rise and Shine! If you are looking for a recipe that will wake you up in the morning this Homemade Yogurt recipe will surely do so. Packed with flavor and a chilli punch, this recipe will surely give you the a quick spike of energy. Try it and let us know your thoughts in the comments below. You can also leave this recipe a star rating. We hope you enjoy this Homemade Yogurt recipe!
- whole milk (1 lt.)
- 160 milliliters buttermilk
- 1/4 rennet (tablet of, or 4 drops of liquid rennet)
- 160 milliliters water
- 150 grams heavy whipping cream
- 300 grams plain yogurt
- In a medium saucepan combine milk and buttermilk, and heat to 20 degrees Celsius (70 degrees Farenheit).
- In a bowl, dissolve rennet in 160 ml of water.
- Add the warm milk mixture and stir as little as possible.
- Let the milk curdle, about 12 hours or overnight.
- The next day, cut large cubes with a knife in the cheese.
- Place the cheese cubse on a cheesecloth lined sieve. Let drain for 30 minutes.
- Retight the cheesecloth to make a purse and close it with a string. Hang this purse to the sink faucet for 2 hours, so the cheese keeps draining.
- Transfer to a plate.
- A liter of milk produces enough fresh cheese to serve four people.
- With an electric mixer, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the yogurt and beat quickly until smooth.
- Put this mixture into a pastry bag. Line small glass containers with fine muslin cloth.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe the mixture into glass containers.
- Refrigerate, but make sure to eat on the same day.
- To serve, heat some dulce de leche and pour it over the fresh cheese.
- Place some fresh cheese up to 2/3 of a small pot, top with tablespoon of creme fraiche and 1 tablespoon of blueberries.
- For a savory version, add salt and pepper, chives, and spread on a slice of toast.