Homemade Sushi and Maki RollRecetas del Señor Señor
Sushi is a lot simpler than most people think, and once you have mastered it you will be able to expirement with fillings. This recipe for sushi and maki rolls features a variety of vegetables as well as salmon, shrimp, and crab for flavorful little bites. You can try a bunch of different combinations, ensuring there is something on the plate that everyone will enjoy. The rice is key in sushi, to make sure to take extra care when preparing it.
- 1Wash the rice in order to loosen the starch and prevent it from clumping when it is cooked. Place in a bowl and stir using your hand, changing the water several times.
- 2Place the rice in a saucepan with the 360 milliliters water on high heat. Once the rice begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium low.
- 3Cover the saucepan and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- 4Prepare the rice dressing by mixing the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- 5Once the rice is cooked, remove from the stove and allow it rest for 10 more minutes, keeping the lid on. Place it on a tray to let it cool. Dress the rice by slowly pouring the vinegar mixture on it and mix with a spoon.
- 6For sushi roll:
- 7Line a bamboo mat with plastic wrap.
- 8Place the nori on the bamboo mat. Wet your hands and place a thin layer of rice on top of the algae, leaving a few centimeters of nori uncovered. Place the filling, such as crab sticks, in a row at the center.
- 9Roll the sushi with the help of the mat.
- 10Wet the blade of a knife to create perfect slices.
- 11Cut the roll into halves, then quarters, then eighths to ensure even slices. If the edges are not smooth, turn the sushi over.
- 12For the maki roll:
- 13Place a layer of rice on top of the algae and cover the rice with sesame seeds.
- 14Turn the roll over so the rice will be at the bottom and the nori on top. Place the filling in a row at the center, in this case shrimp and salmon were used but any desired filling will do.
- 15Carefully close the roll with the help of the bamboo mat.
- 16Once it is closed, place the roll inside the rolled bamboo mat once again, leaving a few centimeters of the roll outside the border of the mat. Push the roll towards the inside of the mat, creating a firm and even edge.
- 17Cut into eighths using the wet blade of a knife. Serve accompanied by ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce.