Like the idea of homemade sushi, but find the idea of making it at home a bit daunting. Try this recipe for Homemade Sushi that deconstructs the flavors and textures of your favorite sushi roll into a tasty sushi bowl. Layering fluffy short-grain rice with nori seaweed, these layers are then covered with a blend of fresh sliced avocado, sliced cucumber, fresh fish, and sauteed mushrooms, garlic, and tofu in a sweet and salty rice vinegar sauce.
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 8 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- olive oil
- 6 mushrooms (cut into thin slices)
- 6 shrimp
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- tofu (with sesame seeds, sliced)
- 200 grams fish (bonito, boneless, or tuna)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cucumber (small, for garnish)
- 1 seaweed (nori, sheet, cut into thin slices)
- soy sauce
- ground ginger
- Place the rice in a bowl with water and stir occasionally for 2 minutes. Strain the rice, replace the water in the bowl, and repeat the process 7 times.
- Place the rice in a cooking pot with 1 1/2 cups water and cook for 5 minutes at medium flame with the pot lid on. Lower the heat to low flame and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the stove and let the rice sit for 15 minutes in the pot.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small cooking pot and heat it at low flame until the sugar and salt are no longer visible. Turn off the stove and let it cool off.
- Place the rice in a glass tray, add half the rice vinegar sauce, and stir. Once mixed, fan air over the rice so it cools off and obtains a sticky texture.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil at medium flame, add the mushrooms, garlic, tofu, and shrimp, and cook until they obtain a golden brown color.
- Cut the fish, avocado, and cucumber into thin slices.
- Place rice at the bottom of 2 bowls, add nori seaweed on top, cover it with more rice, and add the tofu, fish, shrimp, mushrooms, cucumber, avocado, soy sauce, and ginger, and serve.