- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (finely diced)
- 2 stalks celery (finely diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (finely)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (finely chopped)
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (click for my recipe and you'll have some leftovers to sneak during cooking)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
|Calories680Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Rachel 3 days ago
delicious! adding that little bit of red wine and using fresh herbs really gave this dish beautiful depth of flavor.
Brenda DeLucia 7 days ago
Excellent flavor Easy directions My new favorite
Samantha 23 days ago
This was so great! It takes a little time but it’s well worth it. I had leftover mashed potatoes from the night before, so that cut the time way down. I also added a little half and half to the mixture, for a touch of creaminess :) will absolutely make this again!
Danielle Moss 15 Jan
I followed the recipe exactly and it was a bit bland. My husband and I added more tomato paste, red wine and broth. In the end we also added Worcestershire sauce and it was perfect. My children loved it and have requested it many times since.
Jackie N. 14 Jan
Very tasty (though I did use minced lamb with it being shepherd’s pie, rather than beef per the recipe!). I’ll always use this recipe from now on.
Jenal 1 Dec 2018
This was my very first time making this dinner and it was so yummy....definitely will make it again🐶
Jones 13 Nov 2018
turned out very good. doubled the meat to make it go a little farther. added an onion and did corn instead of peas because...well...didnt have them. also added a bit of worchestershire sauce. this dish is very english and doesnt boast the flavor that americans are used too. however my children loved it.
Mary Koenig 7 Nov 2018
Very good. Easy to make. I bought all my veggies frozen and added them instead of fresh. Quicker and easier to make. My grandkids loved it.