Homemade King CakeRecetas del Señor Señor
King cake is a Mardi Gras tradition but is delicious enough to make any time of year. What gives it unique flavor is the combination of orange flower water and candied fruit, as in this streamlined recipe, which incorporates some bread flour for a heartier crumb. The yeast dough rises in the oven, for a cake with a golden brown crust and an airy interior--perfect for burying a treasure inside (just warn your guests to be on the lookout!).
- 50 grams all-purpose flour
- 16 grams yeast
- 95 grams sugar
- 70 grams milk (warm or room temperature)
- 3 eggs
- 70 grams butter (melted)
- 15 grams orange blossom extract
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 orange
- 20 grams orange juice
- 4 grams salt
- 430 grams bread flour (sifted)
- 1In a bowl, add the all-purpose flour, yeast, 10 grams of sugar, and 30 grams of milk.
- 2Mix with the spoon and let it rest for 1 hour covered with a moist towel. Set aside.
- 3In another bowl, beat the eggs. Add the butter, orange blossom extract, lemon zest, orange zest, orange juice, salt, and remaining milk and sugar. Mix well.
- 4Add 370 grams of the bread flour, setting the rest aside for kneading the dough.
- 5Incorporate the yeast mixture in to the flour mixture and mix well.
- 6Sprinkle some of the remaining flour and begin to knead, add the rest of the flour until the dough is no longer sticky.
- 7Place the ball of dough in a greased bowl and cover with a moist towel. Let it rise for 2 1/2 hours.
- 8Leave the dough in one piece for one cake, or cut in half for two cakes.
- 9Using your fingers, poke a hole in the middle of the ball of dough. Carefully make it bigger and bigger.
- 10Place the dough on a tray (or trays, if the dough was divided for 2 cakes) and let it rest for another 2 hours, covered in plastic wrap.
- 11Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- 12Cover the dough with a beaten egg using an egg brush.
- 13Decorate with candied fruit and moistened sugar. Moisten the sugar with no more than 2 or 3 drops water.
- 14Bake for up to 25 minutes. If the top part becomes too golden brown but the inside is not done, cover the top with aluminum foil allowing the rest of the cake to cook.
PER SERVING *
|Calories750Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.