Make your own tasty condiment at home with this recipe for Homemade Ketchup. Made from a combination of tomatoes, onions, and apples, this smooth sweet tomato condiment is the perfect dipping sauce for your favorite finger foods and pairs greatly with any barbecue food. Ready in less than an hour, this Homemade Ketchup has no added preservatives and is made from all natural ingredients making it a condiment you can feel good about serving to your family.
- 400 grams onion (peeled and diced)
- 40 grams virgin olive oil
- 1,000 kilograms tomatoes (ripe, quartered)
- 280 grams granny smith apples (or another acidic variety, peeled and chopped)
- 160 grams sugar (unrefined)
- 200 grams apple cider vinegar
- 20 grams salt
- 2 cloves
- 3 whole peppercorns (allspice)
- Saute the onion in the virgin olive oil until tender, about 9 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer 20 minutes.
- Then add the apples, sugar, vinegar, salt, cloves, and allspice. Stir together and simmer another 20 minutes.
- Blend everything together until smooth. If the mixture is not thick enough, continue simmering until the tomato’s liquid reduces more.