With so many types of granola on the supermarket shelves, it may seem unnecessary to make it yourself, but by doing so you can make sure to include your favorite ingredients in your favorite combinations. You can also control the sweetness factor. This recipe calls for a mix of chopped nuts and different seeds, plus wheat germ, and applesauce, honey, and brown sugar as the sweeteners. A mere tablespoon of oil is all that's needed to coat the whole batch.
- 2 1/2 cups flaked oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts (almonds with skin, walnuts, hazelnuts and pistachios)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds (and sesame seeds)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup apple puree
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a saucepan, place the applesauce, honey, sugar, oil, water and spices and bring to a simmer, stirring unti combined. Pour over dry ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Spread the granola on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 360°F, until golden brown (about 30 minutes). Stir the granola every 10 minutes. Total baking time will depend on personal taste.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Stir in the raisins. Store in airtight containers.