Homemade BreadL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Nothing beats a loaf of warm, homemade bread. These rolls deliver on that pleasure with a recipe that includes strong flour, brewer's yeast and lard. Featuring a crisp exterior and pillowy interior, they're especially tasty when warm. Feel free to double the batch and freeze some of the baked rools for another day. Depending on size, they can be served as dinner rolls or used for sandwiches. Since the starter needs to sit overnight, plan accordingly.
- 50 grams flour (type ‘0’)
- 25 grams water
- 2 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 300 grams flour
- water (130 gra.)
- yeast (10 gra. brewer’s)
- 15 grams lard
- 15 grams oil
- 5 grams salt
- 1To prepare the starter:
- 2Place the flour in a cup and crumble the yeast in the center, add the water, and mix into a dough, cover with a plate and let it rest at room temperature overnight (8-10 hours).
- 4To prepare the dough:
- 5Place the flour on a work surface and make a well in the center, add the crumbled yeast and the starter in pieces, pour the water on top and combine by using the tips of your fingers.
- 6Then add the lard, the oil, and the salt and combine well into a firm dough.
- 7Roll out the dough with a rolling pin several times until smooth.
- 9To shape the dough (the steps are the same for all bread shapes):
- 10Cut the dough into pieces of the desired weight.
- 11Shape it into balls.
- 12Roll out the pieces with a rolling pin.
- 13Roll up the pieces and shape them into small loaves (approximately 2 to 3 centimeters in thickness).
- 14Place the loaves in front of you vertically and flatten them with the rolling pin to 1/2 centimeter in thickness.
- 15When all the rolls are ready, shape them into the desired shapes.
- 16Place the rolls on a baking sheet, cover with a damp paper towel and let them rise for approximately 50 minutes.
- 17Place the baking sheet in an oven at 180C and bake for approximately 30 minutes, depending on the size of the rolls.
- 18Remove the rolls from the oven and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories390Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.