- 2 tart apples (smalls, cored & diced)
- 2 leeks (coarsely chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 12 pounds turkey (Thawed)
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- Combine the apples, leeks, and herbs in a large bowl. Wash and pat dry the turkey and remove the giblets. Stuff the neck and body cavities with the apple-herb mixture. Brush the turkey with vegetable oil and roast according to package directions.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Discard the apples and leeks.
- Pour turkey drippings from the roasting pan into a 4-cup measure. Remove 1/4 cup fat from the drippings using a turkey baster or skimming spoon and put the fat into a saucepan. Skim off and discard the remaining fat from the drippings. Add water to the drippings to make 3 cups. Blend the flour into the fat in the saucepan and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in the drippings, chicken bouillon granules, and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the gravy thickens and boils, about 5 minutes.