This brine gives your roast a big flavor boost and gives the roast extra moisture while grilling. Try different fresh herb combinations. Good with Broccoli and Olive Salad with Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette, Roasted Potatoes with Bacon and Goat Cheese, and Honeyed Fruit with Gingered Wisconsin Mascarpone for dessert.
- 4 pounds pork loin roast (boneless)
- 4 quarts water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 10 peppercorns
- 5 juniper berries
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed
- 1 cup fresh herbs (mixed, rosemary, thyme, sage)
- 1 Orange
- In large saucepan, combine water and all seasonings; bring to a boil. Let brine mixture cool to room temperature. Place pork roast in large (2-gallon) self-sealing plastic bag; pour cooled brine over; seal bag and place in large bowl or on a rimmed cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Remove pork from brine (discard brine) and place on medium-hot grill over INDIRECT heat for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, (20 minutes per pound) until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees F. Remove roast from heat; let rest about 10 minutes minutes before slicing to serve.