- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (semisweet, chopped or 1 cup semi- or bittersweet chocolate chips)
- 3 tablespoons water (or strong coffee)
- 6 large eggs (at room temperature, separated)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (divided)
- 1 cup whipping cream (or heavy)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (use more if you prefer a sweeter filling)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 to 2 tablespoons liqueur of your choice, such as Grand Marnier)
PER SERVING *
|Calories570Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Forest 3 May
This cake was sooooo good! The texture reminded me a little bit of chocolate fudge, which was really awesome!! I used Breyers Vanilla and Strawberry Ice Cream for the filling, and it really complimented the chocolate. The only mistake I made was that I refrigerated the cake roll before I put the filling in, so the cake kinda cracked as I unrolled it. I was really careful, though, and managed to keep it in one piece. The final result looked pretty cool, though; somewhat like a log. The most important thing was: it tasted awesome! I will definitely make this again!
Jelle R. 19 Aug 2017
turned out great. rolling the spunge before cooling it is the key to succes. Also, it's a pretty good cake for a gluten-free variety. The instruction is like reading a novel... i'd like it to be a bit more to the point.
Chelsea S. 22 May 2017
Simple and delicious, both myself and my gluten-intolerant roommate were pleased with the results.
Ern C. 5 Aug 2016
Great recipe! I baked it with my friend and we failed the rolling so we instead just layered it, so it would have been better if the cake was somehow easier to roll. But it still tasted amazing! Last warning: DON'T OVERDO THE VANILLA EXTRACT!