- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/4 pounds chuck roast (or beef for stew cut into 1/2" dice)
- 3 turnips (medium, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and cut into bite size pieces)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes in juice
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth (or stock)
- 4 cups kale (chopped, tough stems removed)
- 1/2 cup farro (or substitute barley)
PER SERVING *
|Calories620Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
ManCityFan 6 Nov
Great recipe! In addition to the ingredients I made a couple of modifications to this soup and boy did it pop! I dusted the beef cubes with a mixture of flour and fajita seasoning and browned the meat, added some black beans and French lentils, and used tender baby kale... loved it!
Jacobson 22 Jul
It was my first time making soup, but I would say this recipe turned out amazing! My family loved it, even if I may have messed up a bit and had to substitute the turnips for potatoes, but it was delicious and filling! I will definitely be trying it again
Lynn L. 28 Jan
This recipe is everything I love about homemade soups, fresh and wholesome! I appreciate that the recipe could be adjusted to fit anyone's budget. However, I certainly wouldn't change a thing. Every spoonful was worth it!!
william c. 15 Oct 2017
Some folks just have to complain, Have you ever thought of recipes as a starter idea? If you think this is to expensive, your on the wrong page, just a thought !
Donna E. 15 Oct 2017
This is a review of the recipe NOT it's cost. Why do people do this and make a good recipe appear as if it is bad?