You've probably heard of (or perhaps even baked) chocolate zucchini bread, an Internet sensation among home bakers, so here's a play on that popular loaf only as brownies, which are even more kid friendly. In fact, these are more wholesome alternatives to regular brownies, since there's no fat in the batter, just applesauce and eggs for the necessary binding and moisture, plus only whole wheat flour instead of white. And then there's the grated zucchini, too.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 75 grams melted chocolate
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup zucchini (grated, unpeeled)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a small baking pannand line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with sugar. Add the apple sauce and melted chocolate and stir well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and mix to combine.
- Finally, stir in the grated zucchini.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake until cooked, but still moist.